Thursday 9 April 2009

E Potfolio 7 (a)

I have two common difficulties that have being annoying since long time ago. One is I always have discontinuity in my logic flow, and another is that, that expression of ideas and sentences is either influenced by my mother tongue, or by the dearest Singlish.

These two difficulties are definitely easy to solve.
First difficulty: discontinuity in the logics.
This can be overcome by writing a essay outline or draft. I took a marketing module last semester, and I was very interested in the module, the lecturer was attractive and has perfect lecturing skills, and thus I did not miss any of the lectures. Moreover, I thought I had understood every concept clearly and could easily state relevant examples or illustration for the concept. However, when I received my first Writing Assignment result, I was stunned by the mark. The tutor’s comment was simple: “I could not understand your logic flow. Though I know you can express them well verbally, your writing does not show it.” This is because I like to write down whatever idea that pops up in my mind, thus I always make it a whole mass in my essay. So by writing a draft or a outline, this can be avoided.
Second difficulty: Expression.
Apart from what has been stated in the introductory paragraph, another problem with my expression is that I tend to use informal English. This is due to lack of ability to distinguish the difference between formal and informal English. In another word, while I write down something which I think is formal, it is not indeed. This could be improved by reading more formal articles and journals to make myself emerged in formal use of English instead of just newspapers and daily conversations, which mainly consist of informal English. While for the mother tongue influence, improvement has been seen from my handouts I believe, though there is definitely space for further improvement. Lastly, speaking Singlish all the time is apparently not a good idea, and with understanding of this point, I has been trying to speak standard English instead of Singlish in my daily life. However, habits are hard to change. I have to not only check out for obvious spelling errors while writing my work, but also correct myself from bad habits of speaking Singlish during my daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment